Presidents Hall, known as the Main Building after 1927, was completed in 1867 and served as the original home of the Immaculate Conception Seminary. In 1866, President Bayley commissioned a large stained-glass depiction of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton for the building. Built in the Neo-Gothic style, this building has a characteristic spire and pointed windows.
Presidents Hall was the center for school operations for a number of years, housing offices for the executive staff. Hanging in this building is a portrait of Monsignor John A. Stafford, President of Seton Hall University from 1889-1907, seen below. He lectured on pastoral theology and liturgy during his time on campus. After leaving for health reasons, he returned to the ministry, serving as the pastor of Saint Patrick’s Church in Jersey City, until his death in January 1913.
This building now hosts administrative offices for the university including the Offices of the President and the Provost.