Marshall Hall

Constructed in 1898, Marshall Hall was the first dedicated library on campus, housing approximately 18,000 volumes. This building as well as Presidents and Stafford Halls were the original three buildings on campus when the college moved from Madison to South Orange in 1860. This was the main library until a new building, McLaughlin Library, was completed in the mid 1950s. Marshall Hall was built in the Romanesque style, which utilizes masonry vaulting instead of timber construction to making it less susceptible to fire. Several fires throughout Seton Hall’s history caused the destruction of many buildings on campus due to fire. Masonry construction brought a sense of safety and stability.

Today this building serves as conference space for various campus groups and the Board of Trustees and Regents.

Images

Map

400 South Orange Avenue, South Orange, NJ, 07079