Walsh Gymnasium, constructed in the Brutalist style, opened in 1940. The design and concrete construction rely on form following function. Seating up to 2,600 people, this building was named for Archbishop Thomas J. Walsh. During most of the mid-20th century this building hosted various theatrical productions and physical education exercises.
The Archdiocese of Newark (ADN) was instrumental in founding the university and only in recent years has the institution become more independent. Archbishop Walsh, of the ADN, assisted Seton Hall in 1936 with raising $2 million dollars to help build the Immaculate Conception Seminary and encouraged the college to receive state accreditation.
The Walsh Gymnasium is the core of the present-day Recreation Center Complex. The arena features a court for indoor sports including basketball, volleyball, and other activities. Additionally, the studios of WSOU-FM, the university’s award-winning radio station, are located here.