Ball's Bluff

This is accessible via a trail loop that runs through South Orange and Maplewood as part of the South Mountain Reservation.

This wooded area is named after a former resident of Maplewood named Philander Ball. In 1896 he sold 3.5 acres of his land to the South Mountain Reservation Commission. This sale was integral to the Reservation's founding as it was the first parcel acquired by the Commission.

Eight stone pillars remain of a stone-and-log pavillion that was built on the site in 1908.

Images

Map

Bear Ln, South Orange, NJ 07079