This chapel, completed in 1863 and dedicated in 1870, was designed by architect Jeremiah O’Rourke and is one of the oldest buildings on campus. The chapel is the spiritual center of the campus celebrating daily mass and hosting numerous Baptisms and Weddings. O’Rourke was a noted Newark architect who also designed Marshall and Presidents Halls.
The interior design harkens back to the Art Nouveau style, using organic geometric patterns in the gold trim to bring the viewers’ eyes to the statue of the Virgin Mary at the right side of the pulpit. In the postcards featuring the interior of the building, you can see the completed altars, as well as the tester, or altar canopy.
The stained-glass panels from 1863 are preserved and remain in the university’s artifact collections. Like many stained-glass panels from this period, these windows were influenced by Medieval stained-glass windows of Europe. This extravagance enhanced Seton Hall’s spiritual presence, one that was growing with the times and supporting a larger student population.
Seton Hall’s campus has been praised as one of the top college campuses to host a wedding by College Ranker and others.