McNulty Hall was built in 1954 to host classrooms for new majors in the fields of biology, chemistry, and physics. Named after Monsignor John L. McNulty, president of the university from 1949-1959, the building contains a popular artwork known as the “Atom Wall”. This carved wall relief depicts the gift of scientific knowledge from God to man. Originally located on the outer façade of the building, it now can be seen in the glass atrium, which was built around the work in 2007.
The building is another example of Mid-Century Modernism. Its symmetry and clean lines point to a new building style emerging on campus as the school prepared to meet rapid growth throughout the 1950’s and 60’s. The milk glass lights, seen below, which once flanked the building’s entry were indicative of this period.
The building is named in honor of Monsignor McNulty, the 13th President of Seton Hall University. He received an A.B. and M.A. from the college by 1922, and a Ph.D. from New York University in 1935. He became a professor at Seton Hall College in 1928, and later became the President in 1949. Students love for the college, like McNulty’s, attracted many to stay on to teach or fill other roles at Seton Hall University.
This complex was updated in 2010 with state-of-the-art laboratories and teaching facilities dedicated to the sciences.