This structure was built in the Collegiate Gothic Revival tradition in 1910 and served as the longtime home of Seton Hall Preparatory School. The pointed arch windows and entry are earmarks of this style, which was also used during this time at prominent institutions such as Yale and Princeton Universities to create a sense of permanence. The goal of the Preparatory School, as well as the college, was the foundation of a liberal arts curriculum which included history, mathematics, classical studies, philosophy, theology, and literature.
After the school moved to West Orange in 1985, Mooney Hall became home to the ROTC, Freshman Studies, and classroom space. Seton Hall Preparatory, also known as “The Prep,” became separately incorporated from the college in 1987.