Bayley Hall was built in 1913 and named for Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley, first Bishop of Newark. This building formerly housed the Seton Hall Grammar School until 1926.
Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley founded Seton Hall College in 1856 in honor of his aunt, Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. He purchased a portion of the Elphinstone Estate for $35,000 on behalf of the Diocese of Newark. Bayley founded the college to uplift immigrants so that they might assimilate into American society. Since that time, a registration of five students has swelled to more than 10,000. Seton Hall College was incorporated on March 8, 1861. Bayley died in Newark on October 3, 1877 and is buried with his aunt at the National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton in Emmitsburg, Maryland.
Bayley Hall, which at one point was rebuilt due to a fire, now serves as office space and is used for various business and administrative operations.