Built in the early 1900’s, McQuaid Hall was built in the Colonial Revival Style. The original use for the building was an infirmary, staffed by dedicated members of the Sisters of Charity from nearby Convent Station. The Sisters of Charity were founded by Elizabeth Ann Seton in 1809 and the New Jersey chapter opened in 1859.
The building was named after Bishop Bernard J. McQuaid, the first President of Seton Hall from 1856-1857 and 1859-1867. Father McQuaid served as founding President and assisted in establishing the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth on the Seton Hall College campus. Bishop McQuaid founded the Diocese of Rochester in 1868 and organized a parochial school system taught and affiliated with the State University of New York.
Presently McQuaid Hall is home of the School of Diplomacy and International Relations, hosting these new majors since 1997 to further facilitate growing student interests.