Opened in 1955, McLaughlin Library was the second library building on campus and was an example of Mid-Century Modernist architecture. The building’s appearance, with its symmetry and clean lines made McLaughlin Library stand out in contrast to the Neo-Gothic and Romanesque buildings that comprised the original campus core. The library was opened around the time that the school added biology, chemistry, and physics majors.
McLaughlin Library was replaced by a new building, and demolished after the completion of what became Walsh Library in 1994. The remnants of the McLaughlin Library can be seen in the University seal at the first-floor entrance of Jubilee Hall.