Modernization of Seton Hall

Since its founding in 1856, Seton Hall has continued to change throughout its history, and buildings on campus reflect changes to the institution over time. Campus buildings demonstrate how Seton Hall has grown over time from a small rural college to a major Catholic university in the New York metropolitan area. Beginning in the 1960s, Seton Hall began to construct and modernize campus buildings while also further emerging as an educational institution with the additions of new areas of study, and the creation of business and nursing schools. The modernization of Seton Hall’s campus and implementation of technologies continued into the 1990s, with the construction of Walsh Library and Jubilee Hall. Since then, the University continues to develop with campus renovations and new construction. Seton Hall’s 58-arce main campus today, is a mix of historical and more modern buildings that show a timeline of the University’s continuing growth and development.

University Green

University Green, or the Green, feature walkways in the heart of campus. It includes Seton Hall’s official university seal found in the circular center of the walkways leading to the University Center, Jubilee Hall, Chapel of Immaculate Conception,…

Boland Hall

Boland Hall was opened in 1952 as Bishop’s Hall. This residence complex was named after Archbishop Thomas Boland, who was the Archbishop of Newark at the time. Boland Hall is now the largest freshman residence. Boland Hall is divided into two…

Bishop Dougherty University Center

Built in 1962 and named for Bishop John J. Dougherty, President of Seton Hall University from 1960-1970, this building houses the Pirates Dining Room, Pirate’s Cove and Theatre-in-the-Round. The University Center also houses meeting spaces for…

Arts and Sciences Hall

Arts and Sciences Hall opened in 1973 as part of the Stillman Business School and Schwartz Nursing College Complex. This building was known as the W. Paul Stillman Business Building until the opening of Jubilee Hall in 1997. Arts and Sciences Hall…

Schwartz College of Nursing

This houses the oldest college of nursing in New Jersey. Built in 1973, the Schwartz College of Nursing building was named for Caroline D. Schwartz, first dean of the College of Nursing and donor to the University. It contains state-of-the art…

Lewis Hall/Immaculate Conception Seminary

Built in 1982 and named for Milton and Rita Lewis, benefactors to the Archdiocese of Newark, Lewis Hall houses the Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology since 1984.

Xavier Hall

Built in 1986, Xavier Hall is named for the Spanish Jesuit Missionary St. Francis Xavier. This residence hall houses over 500 hundred upperclassmen. With seven floors, it is the tallest building on campus. From the top floors views of campus and the…

Recreation Center

Richie Regan Athletic and Recreation Center, named after Richard J. Regan, ‘53 former basketball player, coach and Athletic Director in 2004. Built in 1987, the recreation center is attached the historic Walsh Gymnasium. The recreation center…

Walsh Library

Walsh Library was built in 1994, and was named for Frank B. Walsh, Jr., University regent and donor. The twenty million dollar building, known as the “Jewel of Campus” marked the beginning of Seton Hall’s technological transformation. The four…